When setting up your robot you will eventually need to make the switch from hard-wired (Ethernet cable) to either 2.4ghz or 5ghz wireless chip. We suggest a 5ghz frequency as there is less interference from other common wireless systems e.g.: phones, laptops and other robots.
- Raspberry pi (Model 2b)
- 2.4ghz or 5ghz Wi-Fi module
- Ethernet cable
- A spare Ethernet port in you router
- Plug in Ethernet cable to raspberry pi and router.
- Plug in Wi-Fi adapter to USB hub not directly to raspberry pi.
- Next open a lXTerminal.
- Next type dsemsg | grep usb.
- Search through the results until you find your Wi-Fi adapter you can tell it your adapter by the fact that it will say the manufacturer of your usb next to it
- Now type: apt-cache search firmware wireless
- Then look for the firmware that match your Wi-Fi chips brand.
- Now type: sudo apt-get install firmware–your brand of Wi-Fi chip.
- Now you have downloaded the firmware you can start using your wireless dongle.
Adding a Wireless Connection